Sunday, September 18, 2011

Donny Goines Says New LP Shows His 'Hunger And Drive'

Upcoming Success Served Cold features Bun B, Fred Da Godson, in Mixtape Daily.
By Rob Markman


Donny Goines
Photo: MTV News

Fire Starter: Donny Goines

"If you don't know my name, I'm not working hard enough." That's been Harlem rapper Donny Goines' mantra since 2006, when he first decided to pick up a microphone. His inspiration, as with so many other up-and-coming MCs, came from Jay-Z. After watching his 2004 concert film Fade to Black (two years after it was initially released), he took on a reworked version of the name of famed novelist Donald Goines and hit the studio.

It may have taken him some years to get here, especially considering the pace at which new-gen rappers release music online, but he insists that he is in it for the long haul.

"In this day and age, music is so worthless; people make it worthless. The reason why I say that is because they're so focused on the actual speed of getting music and they're so focused on the microwave type of music, and I decided a long time ago that I will not do that anymore," he told Mixtape Daily. "If you can't wait for me and you can't wait for my albums, then you're not really, truly a fan."

After making a splash online in 2008 with his viral video freestyle series "BARS," Donny went on to release digital projects such as Minute After Midnight, The Breakfast Club and last year's 20X EP. His next album is the one that Goines firmly believes will launch him into the consciousness of rap fans across the globe. Success Served Cold will be offered as a free digital download and feature contributions from Bun B, Fred Da Godson, XV, Laws and producer Statik Selektah. The album blends two popular phrases: "Success is the best revenge" and "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

"This is like the precursor to my long-term career," Goines said of the album, which will come in the fall. "I've worked my whole career to this album and that's what makes it so special. It's something that when people hear, they're gonna understand the hunger and the drive and the determination."

Donny began working on Success Served Cold in late 2010, and he has even partnered up with mtvU to document a piece of his recording process. "I want to create classics," he said before recalling how his favorite rappers used to release music. "I waited two years for a Nas album; I waited three years for a Biggie album. I waited for certain artists, and why should I be any different?"

For other artists featured in Mixtape Daily, check out Mixtape Daily Headlines.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1670838/donny-goines-lp-success-served-cold.jhtml

Teri Polo Tessie Santiago ThalÌa Thandie Newton The Avatars of Second Life The Pussycat Dolls

No comments:

Post a Comment