Sunday, September 25, 2011

Wanda Sykes REVEALS She Had Breast Cancer AND Underwent A Double Mastectomy

 

 

In a shockingly candid interview with Ellen DeGeneres (airing on Monday), funnywoman Wanda Sykes (shown above with wife Alex) reveals that earlier this year she discovered she had breast cancer and underwent a double mastectomy.  Get the deets inside....

 

Leave it to comedienne Wanda Sykes to find the humor in her cancer diagnosis.  In an interview that airs on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Monday, the 47-year-old revealed "I had breast cancer. Yeah, I know it's scary."

Wanda says she discovered the cancer after going in for a breast reduction.

"I had real big boobs and I just got tired of knocking over stuff. Every time I eat — oh lord.  I'd carry a Tide stick everywhere I go. My back was sore so it was time to have a reduction."

She continued, 

"It wasn't until after the reduction that in the lab work, the pathology, that they found that I had DCIS [ductal carcinoma in situ] in my left breast.  I was very, very lucky because DCIS is basically stage-zero cancer. So I was very lucky."

So faced with a hard decision, Wanda opted for a double mastectomy.

"I had both breasts removed, because now I have zero chance of having breast cancer."

She then explained how she arrived at the hard decision....

"I had the choice of, you can go back every three months and get it checked. Have a mammogram, MRI every three months just to see what it's doing," she explained. "But, I'm not good at keeping on top of stuff. I'm sure I’m overdue for an oil change and a teeth cleaning already."

It's good to know that Wanda is doing well now.  And we will be seeing a lot more of her.  She added that she's taken on cancer as one of her charitable causes.

"I was real hesitant about doing this, because I hate walking. I got a lot of [cancer] walks coming up."

Thanks for helping spread awareness Wanda!

Source: http://theybf.com/2011/09/23/wanda-sykes-reveals-she-had-breast-cancer-and-a-double-mastectomy

Nicky Hilton Nicole Richie Nicole Scherzinger Nicollette Sheridan Nikki Cox Nikki Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment