Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Big Sean Sees VMA Loss As 'Motivation'

'I need to get on it so I can be nominated for five more next year,' rapper tells MTV News.
By Rob Markman


Big Sean
Photo: MTV News

There will be no award-show outbursts from Big Sean. Though the Kanye West protégé came up short, losing the 2011 MTV VMA for Best New Artist to Tyler, the Creator, Sean harbors no ill will. He's also nominated for four BET Hip-Hop Awards, including Best Hip-Hop Video for "My Last" and Rookie of the Year. For the Detroit MC, it's all very motivating.

"I thought it was cool Tyler got that," Sean told MTV News of the Best New Artist category. "I was in the audience with my mom; we enjoyed it. When I lost, it wasn't like a big thing at all — it was just kinda like we were enjoying the time."

So far it has been a successful year for Sean, whose debut album, Finally Famous, debuted in the #3 spot on the Billboard 200 albums chart. His Chris Brown-assisted breakout single "My Last" hit #1 on the rap charts and was recently certified gold. His current single, "Marvin & Chardonnay" with Kanye West and Roscoe Dash, is making waves as well: The rapper released the Hype Williams-directed video for the song last week. With so much already accomplished, Sean has plenty to be proud of. "That ain't gonna be my last award for sure," he said confidently. "That was just the first one."

Don't mistake the swag-filled MC's boastfulness with complacency. While he isn't broken up over the VMA loss, he has his eyes firmly set on future Moonmen. "Even losing the VMAs, I was like, man, I need to get on it so I can be nominated next year for something else — for five more next year," he said. "So it's all motivation and it's tight to really be recognized. For people to recognize your talent and to be nominated for anything is cold."

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1670708/big-sean-vmas.jhtml

Giulianna Ramirez Grace Park Gretha Cavazzoni Gwen Stefani Halle Berry Hayden Panettiere

No comments:

Post a Comment