Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wiz Khalifa Reacts To Performing At Steelers-Jets Game

'It's like a dream come true,' Kush & OJ MC tells MTV News about hitting the stage.
By Mawuse Ziegbe, with additional reporting by Rahman Dukes


Wiz Khalifa
Photo: Prince Williams/FilmMagic

Regardless of the outcome of the AFC Championship Game on Sunday (January 23), Wiz Khalifa has something to celebrate.

The MC was tapped to kick off the match with his smash hometown anthem, "Black and Yellow," before his beloved Pittsburgh Steelers hit the gridiron. The Kush & OJ lyricist told MTV News in an e-mail before Sunday's show that rocking the crowd as his team faced-off for a chance to head to the Super Bowl was a long-held goal.

"Awesome, can't even explain it," Khalifa said of hitting the stage at the event. The "Mezmerized" MC also admitted that just hearing his platinum smash pump through the Steelers' stadium speakers was an incredible experience. "Aw man, it feels great. It's like a dream come true," he said. "I hoped this day would come but I never thought it would be a reality."

Even though he's had to weather a brief moratorium on "Black and Yellow" spins in New York over the weekend, Khalifa always went hard for his city.

"I've always had that Pittsburgh pride. I just wanted to let people know where I'm from and represent any way I can, and what better way than through our colors?" Wiz said in a statement released by his label when news of the AFC gig surfaced. "I took that hometown pride and put it in a song."

Of course, he had some help channeling that hometown love into a chart-ruling smash. The MC gave props to Swedish production team Stargate for adding their hit-friendly touch to the track.

"They know how to make hits, man," he said of the producers. "They know how to put a song together. So I learned to do my part and let them do their part. And that's when it goes crazy. 'Cause I do a lot of different things when I record my music. And they go back and we narrow it down. And that's how those big songs come out."

Were you at the game? What did you think of Khalifa's performance? Let us know in the comments!

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1656482/wiz-khalifa-reacts-performing-at-steelersjets-game.jhtml

Yamila Diaz Yvonne Strzechowski Zhang Ziyi Zoe Saldana Zooey Deschanel Aaliyah

No comments:

Post a Comment