Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cage The Elephant's VMA Nod 'A Total Surprise'

'I plan on pulling a Lady Gaga and showing up in an egg,' frontman Matt Shultz laughs to MTV News.
By James Montgomery


Cage the Elephant
Photo: Sony Music Entertainment

Cage the Elephant frontman Matt Shultz is still getting the hang of this whole awards-show thing, but he's a pretty fast learner. Case in point: Here's the story of how he found out his band had been nominated for Best Rock Video at the 2011 Video Music Awards. Or, more specifically, the two stories.

"Last night, I was on the Internet, and I happened to stumble across it on someone else's profile, and I was like, 'Whoa, cool.' I mean, it's not an amazing story, so maybe I should come up with something different," he laughed. "What really happened was: Someone kidnapped my mother, and in order to save her life, we have to win the Best Rock Video award. So I called a bunch of people and threatened their lives and, so far so good; I can't wait to see my mom again. The plan is coming together pretty nicely."

And it's a shame that Shultz considers his band the underdog in the Best Rock category, because if they won, he'd definitely give the best acceptance speech. But in all honesty, he doesn't care if "Shake Me Down" triumphs over the Foo Fighters' "Walk," the Black Keys' "Howlin' for You," Mumford & Sons' "The Cave" and Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks," mostly because he can't believe Cage are even in the running.

"It was a total surprise. I had no clue we were even up for it," he said. "It's an honor to be nominated, and honestly, I'm not thinking about it in terms of our chances or whatever. I just think it's cool that we've been nominated, and that's good enough for me."

But don't let his humility fool you. Shultz is already planning to take full advantage of the VMA stage — and the red carpet — by getting in touch with his inner Gaga.

"I plan on pulling a Lady Gaga and showing up in an egg," he laughed. "But it's going to be a Cadbury egg and I'm going to wear a little banner around my shoulders that says 'Goo-Goo For Gaga.' It's going to be fantastic."

The 28th annual MTV Video Music Awards will air live on Sunday, August 28, from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles at 9 p.m. ET/PT. See the list of nominees, revisit last year's highlights and vote for your favorites in the general categories by visiting VMA.MTV.com.

Related Videos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1667707/cage-the-elephant-video-music-award-nomination-reaction.jhtml

Gina Carano Gina Gershon Gina Philips Gisele B¸ndchen Giuliana DePandi Giulianna Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment