Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tyler Perry Accepts A "Non-Tyler Perry Film" Role + Teedra Moses Signs With Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group?!

Like the late great Lucille Ball, Tyler Perry usually makes sure his name is attached with whatever project he's involved in like "Tyler Perry Presents..." but he's briefly stepped away from his own projects to star in someone else's film.  Get the deets on Tyler's new gig inside plus find out which rapper just signed Teedra Moses to his label....

 

At first it was a rumor, but now superstar producer Tyler Perry is confirmed to star in I, Alex Cross based on the novel written by James Patterson.  In the film, produced by the movie studio Summit, Tyler will portray the detective-psychologist in a rare major role that isn't one of his own projects.

After the premiere of his film, Madea's Big Happy Family, Tyler will begin work on I, Alex Cross with director Rob Cohen.  As we told you earlier, Tyler replaced Idris Elba in the film.  

Congrats on your new role Tyler!

 

And in music news....

Teedra Moses has joined Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group.  The R&B starlet hinted at the move in a recent interview with Vibe.com but it was confirmed today when Teedra changed her official twitter bio to "Maybach Group soulstar!"  

See highlights from her Vibe.com interview here:

 

Tell me what’s been going over the last few years. A lot of people have been asking, ‘Where’s Teedra?’

I’m sure people know at this point that TVT--the record label that I was signed to--they went bankrupt in 2008. Before 2008, I’d come to the decision that TVT was the place I wanted to be at any longer. If there was some way we could have successfully moved forward, I would’ve tried, but the whole battery behind that machine, the whole energy that made that thing come together and move wasn’t there anymore. I lost a lot of money with lawyers trying to get off that label, and if I would’ve known it was just gonna fall apart, I wouldn't have wasted my money. But I got through that and then, I just had to take a second to just figure out how I was going to continue doing this. I didn’t want to run directly to a new label ‘cause I just needed to figure out what I wanted, just what I was doing period.

You stayed relevant in your own way though because you kept doing live shows and releasing mixtapes.

Yeah, I started doing way more shows around that time, and I think a lot of the biggest promotion for my album came around that time. I started grinding so much more and more people had become aware of me. I continued to put out mixtapes, you know. The Young Hustla was the first mixtape I put out before my album came out because I was frustrated waiting for TVT to put out my album. Then after my album came out, I was frustrated waiting to get the opportunity to put out a second album, and I hit the road. I did a live mixtape, Live From The Jungle. Then I didn’t have any way to put out an album because I didn’t have a label, so I put out Lionhearted. Basically, it was all songs that were sitting here and I gave them to the people. In 2010, I put out my last mixtape called Royal Patience, and that was just something for fans of the music.

Each mixtape had a purpose- Lionhearted was when I was really scared, so I had to be courageous and Royal Patience was more of me holding onto to my faith. Be patient. You have talent, people want to hear from you, keep going, just be patient.

Do you think TVT going bankrupt was more of a blessing for you than anything?

Ooh yes! Have you ever been in a bad relationship and you’re just sitting there and you know this shit is dead wrong but you can’t find the gumption to get out of it? In this situation with TVT, I had all the gumption in the world. I love Steve Gottlieb, and I mean that because he gave me the opportunity to give my music to the world, but dude was not letting go of nothing. He had people in his label that were inactive for 10 years! He didn’t care. He wasn’t going to let me go, so it was a huge blessing.

What was the reason for the discord? They weren’t pushing your music and not trying to let you out of your contract?

We just didn’t agree. I remember having a meeting with the marketing person after Complex Simplicity came out. I recall sitting with him and him saying, ‘Well, you know, Complex Simplicity didn’t really have any singles.’ And I was like, ‘Word?’ [Laughs] I remember being on the road for the album and the album not being available in stores, so there were a lot of things that happened. They just didn’t know what they were doing, nor did I. Bottom line.

Now that you’re an independent artist, do you want that major label machine behind you again?
I do want a label, and I'm talking with people. I've had a label before so you can't get me with the lure of 'Oh, we gon' sign you!' That don't mean shit to me, you know? [Laughs] That don't mean nothing because if you don't believe then that don't mean nothing. The number one thing with me is do you get it?

I had this experience: The night of my birthday. We went out, we had drinks, me and my friends. We went to this little lounge place that I go to here in Miami. I came home, and I'm just having this really good birthday…and going into this birthday I never felt so strong. I never felt so boss! I just really felt like the lioness to the truest form, like nothing could mess with me. I'm coming home, it's like 4 o'clock in the morning and I just hop on Twitter. I never check my DM's because I don't really talk to people on the DM's, but I look at my DM's and I see that Rick Ross hits me and was like, "Who you signed to? I doing this company…" blah blah blah. I'm like cool! He likes my music and that always makes you feel good when your peers acknowledge that you're good too. From that point on, we kinda start talking. He lives down here in Miami too, so I start going over there and catch the vibe with him. He hustles really, really hard, so whenever he was in town, I would go over there and check him out and do tracks and just vibe.

When was this?

He hit me in December; we started communicating in January. And you know, I really like them. I like the fact that he's an artist that understands what I'm doing. He always says, 'You my Anita Baker.' Like, he understands what I'm doing. Not saying that I'm Anita Baker, but that's kinda the way I wanted to do it. I want somebody to say, 'Hey, this girl is hustling. She does her thing. Why is nobody signing her?' I never wanted to go to them and beg. So… we're talking and I really rock with them. I'm considering that very strongly, as he is considering it very strongly.

Wow. So Maybach Music could be the new home for you?

I believe so. Yeah. I like the way they move, and I like the hunger over, and I like that it's all about work. As much as Rick talks about the glitz and glamour or whatever, he goes hard and he works hard, so I rock with that. And that's what I do. I work hard, I rock shows, I touch the people and I try to make good music. I'm not really into the hoopla.

 

Source: http://theybf.com/2011/03/25/tyler-perry-accepts-first-non-tyler-perry-film-role

Julie Benz Julie Berry K. D. Aubert Karen Carreno KarolÌna Kurkov· Kasey Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment